Monday, January 25, 2016

Flooding, Parasites, and Bible Bashs, OH MY!

Hello my friends and family!!  I hope all is well with ya´ll and I miss and pray for you all so much! Thank you for all your support and letters and emails! I love getting them- it MAKES my week each Monday! 

SOOOO... This week a series of unfortunate events occurred, but nothing to unfortunate to make me lose my smile because I have this gospel! :)

Let´s start with our house. On Tuesday we decided to stop by our house after a couple lessons because we had to go to the bathroom (haha). SOOO Thank goodness we made that decision because once we arrived, we noticed the floor of our house filled with about an inch of water everywhere. We don´t have a ton of desk space so we put certain things on the ground- like journals. :/  Sister Gomes´ mission journal and my journal of quotes and scriptures were soaked as well as some other papers and church magazines. We got out hair dryers out and started using them to dry our papers.  We managed to save just about everything, but had to re-write everything as well because everything was just gross and wet and ripped. This was the only time I used my hair dryer in the mission! Put to good use. ;) 

On Wednesday we went the the chapel in Soledade to watch the missionary broadcast! Oh it was so awesome!! I loved knowing I was watching the same broadcast as my missionary friends across the world translated in so many different languages. It was translated into Portuguese here obviously, but I was happy at how much I could truly understand. One thing I liked that Elder Bednar said (or at least I think he said) was that no one would understand our lessons in the mission if we weren´t speaking by the spirit because The Holy Ghost is the teacher and He testifies of truth.  However, during the last talk in the devotional I started to feel really sick and had to throw up.  It happened a few more times so we stayed the night with other sisters in Casa Forte in Recife. Once we got back to our house, Sister Forbush (our mission nurse) had me take a pill for parasites because we couldn´t figure out what was going on... I´ve felt better ever since so perhaps it was that! EW.

AND YESTERDAY! Oh geeze, a member we ate lunch with introduced us to her friend.  We began to tell her about our church and what our purpose was as missionaries, but my goodness she was not interested haha.  We tried to be calm and leave but she wanted to bible bash.  She kept running out of the room to get bibles to "prove us wrong," but the funny thing was one time she ran out of the room to go get us bananas to eat??? Hahaha how nice of her to bash on us and feed us! Too funny- Brasilians are just generous no matter what! We ended up just saying okay ya know what, pray.  You will get an answer of what is true and what God wants from you if you pray.

This week starts a new transfer! But Sister Gomes and I are going to stay here in Vitória! Way cool. I made it through my first 6 weeks in the field! Whoohoo! I love it! Oh this week I tried 2 new fruits- jabuticaba and jaca! SOOO good.  I wish if you guys googled these fruits, you could taste them! As well as acerolas and caju! SOOO YUMMY! 

But this was my week! I love you all and I love this gospel! This gospel is truly of Jesus Christ.  We have a living Prophet today who receives direct revelation for the whole world.  It doesn´t matter who are you or what church you go to- He receives direct revelation for you because he speaks to God! I love this gospel and I love to share it! 

Até Segunda,
Sister Garrick 

Everything wet



Me drinking coconut water to help my stomach (foi muito ben mesmo)



Selfie Sunday with Sister Gomes






No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages