Monday, June 20, 2016

A Semana de Atividades

Hey! I forgot how to write atividades in English... is it activides, activities? My goodness, I don’t know how I’m going to speak English after my mission haha.  But this week was great! We really did have a fun-filled week! Thursday night we had a family home evening at church with members, non-members, investigators, less actives, recent converts, etc, and it was so fun! I gave a devotional on the wonderful talk by our beloved prophet, President Monson from this last General Conference called, "Choices."  You should all read it, it’s quite short and easily findable (is that a word) on lds.org. (from mom: here's the link to the talk "Choices")  We played a game with everyone afterwards and it was awesome!

Friday night was Festa Junina! It´s like this holiday in all of Brasil that´s a couple weeks long and has São Antônio, São João (on my birthday), and São Pedro.  All of this is called Festa Junina and I don´t know the exact reason that this holiday exists but everybody dresses like rednecks and eats all food imaginable that you could make out of corn and peanuts.  I ate some of the most delicious food that I could this day.  They also have Quadrilha dance and forro. I will learn how to dance this someday! It´s so cool to watch.  Many people wear plaid, floral patterns, and big dresses.  It´s so cool! We got many referrals from this activity!   

Saturday night was the ward talent show! Lots of non-members came and the leaders asked us to preform something so us 4 sisters sang, "Glorious," by David Archuleta (from the film "Meet the Mormons") in English and Spanish.  (from mom: here's a link to the song "Glorious") It was really great! The Young Women performed a dance routine and it reminded me a LOT of what the Young Women and I did in like middle school when we had a ward talent show in Orchard Park, NY... all my New Yorkers will remember ECLIJAR amiright?  HAHA! Anyways, brought back memories.

Sunday was "O dia que ninguém faltou" or the day that nobody missed! Everybody made sure to be at church this day and invited less actives, friends, and family to come to church with them this Sunday to fill the chapel and boy was it filled- with lots of non-members too which was even better!

Funny things- I knocked on someone´s door and someone responded saying that no one was home HAHA! Also I knocked on a door and no one came but all of a sudden a dog jumps up on the gate and I don’t know how but my arm ended up in his mouth but luckily he wasn’t able to bite me cause I got out of there fast.  I have never been more scared in my life lol.

Something I would like to share with you is a few scriptures in Doctrine and Covenants that help us when we have doubts, forget our testimonies that we have already obtained, or need to remember why we are enduring to the end:
"Verily, verily, I say unto you, if you desire a further witness, cast your mind upon the night that you cried unto me in your heart, that you might know concerning the truth of these things.
"Did I not speak peace to your mind concerning the matter? What greater witness can you have than from God?
"....therefore treasure up these words in they heart.  Be faithful and diligent in keeping the commandments of God and I will encircle thee in the arms of my love." (D&C 6:22-23,20)

I love and am grateful for you all! 

Love,


Sister Garrick








No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages