Monday, March 21, 2016

Feliz Páscoa! Happy Easter!

Hello friends and family!!  

This week was great! I got to see one of my two CTM companions because she is in my District now: Sister DiSpirito! It was awesome to talk with her again (this time in better Portuguese).  This Sunday was awesome! We had 6 investigators in the chapel again and Sister Feltran and I taught Gospel Principles class.  We had a lot of recent converts and investigators in there and the recent converts all bore their testimony of Jesus Christ and ther conversions to the true gospel! My eyes were filled with tears of pure joy during the whole lesson because they led the discussion and the spirit was so strong and our investigators all said that they LOVED it.  I´m so grateful for our members here! They are so firm in the gospel.  I was also asked to lead the music in Sacrament Meeting too!  This past Sunday we also held an open house at the church to invite people who weren´t members of the church and never visited to see what it as like.  Unfortunately we only had leaders from Relief Society, Young Men, and the first counselor there to talk about each organization.  But our members stepped up to the challenge and talked about Young Women, Quorum, and Primary too! I love them!! We ended it in the chapel where Israel (1st counselor in the Bishopric because we don´t have a Bishop) talked about the Sacrament and it was so spiritual.  We ended with snacks and gave everyone little goodie bags that we made for them with candy, pass along cards about families and Easter, and a copy of Cristo Vivo.  Sadly, none of our investigators came to the open house and nobody we invited during the week, so we ran out into the streets and invited literally everyone we saw.  We didn´t end up with a TON of people but it was sufficient and the spirit was there and we gained 2 new investigators because of it!

I want to talk about some funny things that happened this week: We were in Recife (I can´t remember if I already wrote about this) but we were looking at the list of hamburgers at his place to eat and one said "cheddar bacon" we bought two, but when we got it it didn't have a hamburger! It was literally just a brad, a little bit of cheddar cheese, and bacon bits. My gosh what a rip off. We looked at the menu again and it literally didn´t say that it included a hamburger hahaha what is life in Brasil!?  Also this week I saw a lizard that was HUGE I wish I had a photo because I can promise you that it belongs in Jurassic Park (literally a mini velociraptor) not kidding.  Also, we hear every type of excuse from our investigators for reasons why they can´t go to church on Sunday, but this one was my favorite- "Oh this Sunday´s not going to work because I got to kill a chicken." WHAT?! Hahaha I tried so hard to not to laugh but I guess you gotta do what you gotta do. 

I also want to copy what Sister Dibble did in her email once- 
You Know It´s Hot When:

You have the oddest tan lines and the elders tell you they have tan lines of their tie and their name tag!
You´re used to being wet and you have sweat in places you never knew you could sweat (for example, my ears)
You touch your hair for longer than 5 seconds and your hand burns
The dead animals on the street weren´t hit by cars, but because the sun is scalding

Alright, I would like to end my email with an experience that I had this week.  There was one day that I was sad and stressed and overwhelmed thinking about the activities we were planning and lots of other things.  I wasn´t doing very well mentally to the point where I just broke down in tears.  Nobody saw but I needed help.  I had a thought to read a book my grandma sent me.  It´s this little book of quotes by Thomas S. Monson (our prophet) for each day of the year.  I looked under the day March 19th- it said, "'Entitled To The Lord´s Help' 'With whom my hand shall be established: mine arm also shall strengthen him.' (Psalm 89:21) 'Our task is not insurmountable.  We are on the Lord´s errand, and therefore we are entitled to the Lord´s help.  But we must try.  From the stage play Shenandoah comes the spoken line which inspires: 'if we don´t do, then why are we here?' When the master ministered among men, He called fishermen at Galilee to leave their nets and follow Him, declaring, 'I will make you fishers of men' (Matthew 4:19).  And so He did.  Tonight He issues a call to each of us to 'come join the ranks.'"  This was EXACTLY what I needed to hear.  I testify that we have a living Prophet of God.  He talks with our Heavenly Father face to face and receives revelation for ALL of us- Mormon or not.  I´m so grateful for The Book of Mormon and for the examples we can learn from from these ancient prophets as well.  This week and next prepare to hear the words of our LIVING prophet, Thomas S. Monson at General Conference.  It´s going to be revelation for us.  I hope you all think about The Atonement this week in preparation for Easter and the true meaning of this holiday.  Love you all!!

Write me!! My address changed it´s now the same for letters and packages: 

Sister Jillienne Garrick
Brazil Recife Mission
Rua Das Ninfas 30 
Boa Vista
 50070-055 Recife- PE
 Brazil

Com amor,
Sister Jillie Garrick :)

Photo 1: eating a giant chocolate bar ;)



Photo 2: The chocolates we made for the members who helped with our open house!



Photo 3: Sister Feltran, Sister Cordeiro, e eu! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages